- 3,000 food baskets distributed weekly in 30 cities
- 15,000 food baskets distributed for Passover and Rosh Hashanah
- Children’s Centers providing food, educational support and fun activities for 500 children daily
- Distribution of new coats, shoes, backpacks, school supplies, blankets and heaters
- Emergency relief delivering tons of food to victims of war and terror
Yad Ezra V’Shulamit was founded by Mr. Ariel Lurie, a Jerusalem businessman who grew up poor himself. Today Mr. Lurie runs the organization, together with hundreds of volunteers, who do their best to make sure every child knows that he will be fed and clothed, and personally cared for as much as any other child with means.
“Of the people, by the people and for the people” is the unofficial motto of Yad Ezra V’Shulamit’s all-volunteer effort to rescue our brethren from the shame and pain of poverty. Many of our 1,000 volunteers have benefited personally from our assistance in the past. Led by Mr. Ariel Lurie, Yad Ezra V’Shulamit’s volunteers carry out almost all facets of our nationwide food distribution and individual support services.
Food is collected by the organization a wide variety of ways:
- Our truck goes to kibbutzim and moshavim to collect ‘gifts’ from the farmers.
- Staff call to get donations from food warehouses and/or other businesses.
- We purchase what is missing from the baskets each week.
- The Ministry of Agriculture directs us to agricultural centers , which now provides us with generous supplies of vegetables.
How the Food Baskets Get Assembled
Administrative expenses are kept to an absolute minimum; in fact, many volunteers use their own cars to deliver food baskets.
By keeping operating costs to an absolute minimum, Yad Ezra V’Shulamit is able to channel 89% of all charitable donations directly to the programs and the people who need it most.
The head office is situated in Jerusalem.
It should be noted that our organization is highly recommended, including recommendations from the President and the office of the Chief Rabbinate, the Prime Minister of Israel, Rav Ovadia Yosef, ztal, and Rav Kaduri , ztzl..
Letter from Mr. Ariel Lurie, Founder
Many of your brethren in Israel now find themselves in dire situations, with no means of providing even the bare minimum of sustenance for themselves.
Statistics released by the Israel National Insurance Institute in 2014 show over 80,000 children living below the poverty line – that accounts for almost one-third of all children in the country!
Other reports also indicate many, many entire families suffering from lack of food.
They are in desperate need. They turn to us, we turn to you. Help us help Israel’s poor.
Ariel S. Lurie
Founder and Director
Yad Ezra V’Shulamit